Become a Foster Carer
Do you want to become a Foster Carer?
A lot of people want to become a foster carer, and would never imagine they can. Contact us now to see if you can become a foster carer.
Often the biggest reward in fostering is making a real, positive and lasting difference to the life of a child or young person. As a foster carer you will become the most important member of a caring team providing support for a child in need.
Research has consistently shown that the provision of quality foster care to children in times of need can vastly improve their future outcomes and greatly reduce their chances of future homelessness, unemployment, mental and physical health concerns, and involvement with the criminal justice system.
When you become a foster carer, you will help a child achieve their goals and improve their quality of life now and into the future.
â€œMy carer has changed my life in such a positive way. If you knew me before I went into care, and know me now, then youâ€™d know what a difference my carer has made to my life.â€
â€˜Sallyâ€™ â€“ former foster child
After your application, there is a set procedure that takes place in order for you to become a foster carer:
- Assessing Social Worker â€“ we will assign you a social worker who will be with you every step of the way. They will also carry out your initial assessment.
- Training â€“ you donâ€™t need formal qualifications as all training is provided but you mush have experience in working with children.
- Home visits â€“ the same social worker will then visit you at home several times to get to know you better, and write a report as to your experiences, skills and your suitability to foster.
- Fostering panel â€“ you will be invited to attend our fostering panel meeting where your report will be presented and discussed by our panel members.
- Your Approval â€“ the Agency Decision Maker will make the final decision on behalf of Capstone Foster Care, and you have now become a foster carer and are ready to be trained to take on your new role as a foster carer.
You can read more about the steps involved and the assessment stages by clicking here.
Want to become a foster carer?Apply Now To Become A Foster Carer
Making the Right Decision – Decide to foster
1. Get in touch
Making the decision to foster is truly a daunting one, weighing up the immense rewards of changing a child or young personâ€™s life for the better against the unknown. As we know this only too well, we encourage you to speak with our experienced and dedicated staff members to walk you through the decision making process. We are more than happy to field any questions you may have regarding fostering. If you do decide to foster, please do get in touch with us.
You can contact us via the contact form or by phone.
2. Home visit
One of our social workers will arrange to meet you in your home. As well as viewing your living space and spare bedroom, we use this visit to get to know each other better. Important information about yourself, family, background and skills and experience is sought to determine which type of fostering is best suited to you.
It is also a time for you to ask anything that may have arisen since our last contact.
3. Starting the application process
The application form you will complete allows permission to complete background checks with the relevant parties (Referees, Police Checks, etc). These checks are essential on all applicants in order to safeguard the children.
The next stage is the assessment, and will commence on successful clearance on background checks.Read More
If youâ€™d like to know more about fostering, or are thinking to decide to foster, call us now on 0800 012 4004