Foster Care Training Courses
When local authorities take a young person into care and reach out to Capstone to provide services, we are able to find the best trained fosterers because we begin with people who have the desire and personality that enables them to have the loving homes where looked after kids can flourish. There is always a social worker available, day or night, to answer questions and provide necessary services.
In addition, Capstone offers a full training programme to empower foster carers to support children and young people with a variety of needs. The training is hosted in a variety of locations throughout the year. When you become a carer, there are several core courses that are mandatory and prepare you for various types of fostering placements. There are more courses for when you already have placements to which the training applies or are interested in that type of fostering.
These are the mandatory 4-hour core courses that must be completed within 12 months of approval and repeated at least every 3 years.
- Child Protection & Safeguarding
- First Aid (Carers have a choice of attending a 4 hour basic course, or a 6 hour externally accredited with Ofsted (Level 3) award)
- Logging, Recording & Data Protection
- Managing Behaviour
- Safer Caring
- Paediatric Emergency First Aid (a 6-hour course)
Managing Behaviour & De-Escalation is an advanced core course for carers who have taken the Managing Behaviour course several times during their length of time as a registered carer.
There are specialised courses for those who are already experienced in taking care of looked after children with these requirements and those who wish to have placements with these requirements. These include:
- ADHD: Understanding What It Is And Isn’t
- Autism & Aspergers
- Children With Disabilities
- Mental Health
- Mental Health & ADHD
- Parent and Child Placements
Other courses are available to enhance your experience and ability to be a confident carer. These include:
- Administering Medication
- Bullying: Understanding The Impact Of Bullying & How To Manage Bullying
- Child Development
- Child Sexual Exploitation
- Communicating With Young People
- Domestic Violence
- Drugs & Alcohol Awareness
- Foster Talk Workshop
- Gang Culture
- Identity & Diversity (from The Perspective Of An Ex-Looked After Child)
- Independence & Staying Put
- Internet Safety
- Introduction To The Youth Offending Service
- Promoting Educational Achievement
- Secure Base Training (Attachment)
- Sexuality & Sexual Health
- The Child’s World
- Transitions & Life Story Work
- Understanding & Managing Conflict
- Understanding Self Harm
Our skills to foster courses are professionally arranged and taught with the purpose of providing foster parents with the wide range of knowledge that is available on the various topics that help them in their daily work (and play) with the looked after youngsters in their home. During your assessment period, you will learn more about the education we provide and the learning opportunities that are available. We are always working to develop the most current and pertinent support and development possible.
Capstone training courses empower foster carers to support children and young people with a variety of needs.
We have outlined the different courses below in more detail, complete with an approximate time each course takes to complete.