Frequently Asked Questions
- What is foster care?
- What is the difference between an independent foster care agency/provider (IFA or IFP) and the local authority?
- Who can apply to be a foster carer?
- Will a criminal record preclude me from becoming a foster carer?
- How long will it take to become a foster carer?
- Can I transfer from another agency/local authority and how long will it take?
- I am single, can I still be a foster carer?
- I rent my property, can I still foster?
- Do I need a spare room to foster?
- I work, can I still foster?
- I have small children, can we still foster?
- Are there many checks to be completed during assessment?
- Will I need training before becoming a foster carer?
- Will my partner need to be checked and attend training?
- How much will I receive as an allowance?
- Do I have to pay tax and national insurance on my earnings?
- How much choice will I be given about placements?
- What kind of support can I expect if things go wrong?
- Can I foster if I smoke?
- Can I foster if I don’t drive?
- Can I foster if I have a baby?
- Can I foster if I am in a same sex relationship?
- Can I foster if I have debt or have been made bankrupt?
- Can I foster if I take antidepressants / have depression / have had depression?
- Do foster carers get child benefits?
- Can I foster if I have pets?
- Can foster carers adopt?
- What is kinship care?
- Am I too old to foster? Am I too young to foster?
Call: 01322 629 260
Call: 01457 829 400
Call: 0121 374 2650
The West Country and The South West
Call: 0845 872 0650
Click here for more information